Its AGirlNamedEgypt here and I hope you had a HAPPY HALLOWEEN
Yesterday it was Halloween one of my favourite holidays and I thought why not do my first ever baking Post!!!!
Because it was my Poppa’s 60th Birthday yesterday I couldn’t write this post till after Halloween so I hope you will be inspired to make this recipe for next year 🙂
One day I was just watching random cooking shows when Eyeball Cake Pops showed up and I thought why don’t I make them It looks fun and I have never made cake pops before so here we go………
The Ingredients you will need:
- A box cake mix or easy cake recipe ( Now gather the ingredients you need for the cake box or recipe, As many recipes vary I needed Milk, Eggs and Butter. I’m using Dark Chocolate Cake Mix but I have seen many people use Red velvet because of the red colour when you bite into it, But I personally don’t prefer red velvet over DARK CHOCOLATE ( News Flash: Chocoholic here! ) but you could use any flavour you want)
- My Box Cake mix came with frosting but if you’re not using Box Mix then you will need a recipe for frosting( I’m using Chocolate frosting but you can use any flavour you want )
- M’n’Ms or Coloured chocolate discs ( For the iris’, I’m using colours like Blue, Green and Red for a spooky look )
- A LARGE Block of white chocolate.
- Edible Writing Icing( I’m using the colours Red for blood and veins and Black for the pupils )
- The Supplies you will need: ( as I was in a hurry that day some things aren’t pictured sorry)
- A Large Mixing Bowl and a Medium Mixing Bowl .
- A cake tin that is suited to your recipe ( I am using a flat ‘sheet’ like tin to quicken cooking time )
- A spatula
- An electric mixer or Spoon
- Cooling Rack
- Measuring Cups
- Bain-marie ( Double Boiler )
- Ice Cream Scoop or Spoon
- Plastic forks or Popsicle
- Baking Paper
- OPTIONAL Cake Pop Mould
Now that you have all your supplies let’s get started.
Step 1: Baking Cake
Follow your cake recipe or instructions on the box cake mix. After baking allow to fully cool either in the pan or on a cooling rack. Make sure it cools completely or it will melt the frosting. While it is Baking then cooling, Clean up and wash the utensils and get ready for………..
Step 2: Making Cake Pop Mix
First Crumble cake into large bowl I just crumbled it by hand but if you wish you can put the cake in a food processor to crumb finely, But try to crumb it as finely as possible. ( I found it easy to just wear gloves and crumble and mix frosting in by hand )
Then make frosting or you could buy a tub of frosting from a store. Now add about a cup of frosting to the cake crumb mix and combine ( though you might have to add more, you should end up with a dough like consistency so you can roll in into a ball ) I started combining it with my spatula though I found it easier to just mix with your hands.
Then put the bowl with the mix in the fridge overnight or if you’re in a rush put in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden, While it hardens get ready for……..
Step 3: Shaping Pops
Get a Sheet Pan and line with baking paper. Roll cake mix into medium-small balls, I found it easier to scoop mix with an ice cream scoop then roll. I’m using a cake pop mould that just makes them more circular but you don’t have to.
This Recipe makes about 25 cake pops, After you shape them put them on the sheet pan then put them in the fridge for 2 hours or the freezer for 30 minutes to harden up.
While they harden get ready for the best step…………………..
Step 4: Decorating and Dipping
I’m using a mixture of popsicle sticks and Forks ( its best to use plastic forks but I forgot to get some 🙂 ) first start by melting your white chocolate in a ban-marie ( A Ban-Marie is a pot with quarter of it filed with hot water then a glass bowl over top just make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water and the chocolate will melt slowly with the heat of the steam )
When the chocolate melts dip a popsicle stick or fork in the white chocolate ( just dip the tip ) the insert it into the cake pop about half way ( Some of my cake pops fell apart during this step 😦 …….. well more for the chef 🙂 ) then sit them back on the baking paper, When you have finished them all its ready to dip the whole cake pop.
Now pick up the pop and dip the whole thing in the chocolate you might have to tip the bowl to fully coat the pop, When its finished put it back on the baking paper ( or an oiled sheet pan if you have run out of baking paper 🙂 )
I would suggest dipping the cake pop two times to perfectly coat it. After you dip the pops before they dry push your M’n’Ms or colored melts onto the pop to make the iris’s.
After all your pops have dried completely which takes about 30 minutes ( or faster if you use proper baking chocolate I just used a Dream block ) . With edible Writing icing use the black one and make the pupils on everyone then with the red one draw squiggly lines on the eyes for the veins you can also put some ” Blood ” on the fork or stick and ……………..
Tada you have just made some spooky cool Eyeball cake pops so Enjoy!!
Hope you enjoyed this post and sorry if it was as informative as I would like but I’m sure I will get way better at making these posts.
Till next time AGirlNamedEgypt xx
P.S I don’t normally post on a Saturday but because I have been late with some posts I posted this one today so I can add an extra post tomorrow or Monday.